The plan was to pick up Luke, Bryce’s nephew, at 11:30 a.m.  The plan did not happen.

Bryce turns his phone off at night to conserve battery and he doesn’t turn it on until he wakes up.  This is generally not much of a problem, except that on Saturday, Luke’s mom was calling to let us know he was at home waiting for us.  It was 10:45 a.m. when we got the message.  And since we weren’t going to leave for another half hour, I had just started taking nail polish off my toes.

We panicked slightly, but managed to get there around 11:10 a.m (nail polish off and everything).  When we got there, we were told to call the house and leave a message telling him to come outside.  We called twice.  He didn’t come.  Bryce somehow managed to get the attention of Luke’s grandpa and Luke finally appeared.

It suddenly dawned on me that we didn’t have a car seat.  The kid needed one still, so I looked at Bryce and said, “Did Gina mention a car seat?”  to which he said “Oh crap”.  We had to ask Luke’s grandpa if he miraculously had one.  Thank goodness he did or movie day would have been canceled.

So we were off!  The movie was at 12:30 so we had plenty of time to get there.  Luke wasn’t as energetic and didn’t seem as excited as he normally does so I asked if he was ok.  He said he was tired from waiting so long.  Sigh.  At this point I was thinking that he wouldn’t have a good time and he’d never want to go out with us again.  So I asked if he was hungry, which he was, and I promised him we’d buy him food at the concession stand for the movie.  What did we learn here?  Vanessa likes to bribe kids.  So sue me.

Boy did we spend a lot there.  It always amazes me how expensive food is there.  I think we spent… $32.  One large popcorn + 2 medium drink package, one mochi crunch, and 3 hot dogs.  I’ll admit that’s a lot, but it was our lunches too.  Would you believe I was still hungry after that?

Anyway, we ended up seated about half an hour before the movie started, which was half an hour too much for Luke to wait.  He kept saying stuff like “I can’t wait for the movie to start,” or “I wish the movie would start already.”  And it didn’t help that the commercials had no sound.  We basically sat in a silent theater for 15 minutes until I forced Bryce to go tell someone there was no sound since his nephew was apparently very troubled by this.

Have you seen the Bradford Howe commercials before your trailers are shown?  At one point he said something like “Enjoy your movie” and Luke responded really loud “What are you talking about? It hasn’t started yet”.  Bryce and I thought this was extremely hilarious and couldn’t stop giggling for a while.  There were about 4 other people in the theater with us.  This is a good thing because for some reason Luke was really talkative that day.  I’ve never heard him talk so much or so LOUD in the theater before.

Once the movie started I think Luke was better.  He even ate half his hot dog, which is half more than I thought he would eat.  At the end, I could tell he was done for.  He was sleepy.  And it was nap time.  So he took a small nap in the car while we drove him to his grandma’s house to meet his mom and sister.  Once we got there, he actually woke up pretty fast.  He pulled out his DS and started playing a Cars racing game and kept talking to me and played in front of me, like he wanted me to watch.  So I watched.  And I cheered him on.  And gave him high fives when he won.  I loved every moment.  He’s really warmed up to me and talks to me all the time calling me “Aunty Vanessa”.  It makes me smile every time I think about it.  Especially when I remember how he used to call me “Aunty Wanessa”. 🙂

And Bryce?  He was playing hide and seek with Jeni, Luke’s little sister.  She was very energetic that day.  Running all over and not hiding very well.  It pains me to tell you this next part without a picture.  But one of her “hiding spots” was behind a box cover that she held in front of her face.  It was the cutest darned thing I ever saw.

We asked Luke if he wanted to see Toy Story 3 with us and he immediately said “yes!” while his face lit up and then he shouted “mommy!”.  A red light went off in my head and I told him, “Luke not today!  Next weekend!” and he said “Oh… :D”.  He’s so cute.

So at the end of the day, he really did have a good time and still wants to go out with us.  It’s a good sign.